CISER Employment Opportunities
We are currently seeking graduate students with strong statistical software and data analysis experience to staff our computing consulting helpdesk locations at Mann Library and 391 Pine Tree Road (CISER).
M-F, 10-noon at CISER
M-F, 2-4 pm at Mann Library
M-TH, 4-6 pm at Mann Library
Sunday, 4-6 pm at Mann Library
TThe CISER Helpdesk consultants assist faculty, student, and staff researchers in the use of statistical software to process and analyze data. The consultants help researchers with programming syntax and the interpretation of program errors and logs. They also assist users in finding social science data sets and writing code to access the CISER data archive files, data downloaded from the internet or other electronic data. The consultants answer questions at the walk-in helpdesk, and by phone, e-mail, and instant messenger (live chat). Consultants are expected to be resourceful in seeking information and answers. The consultants work independently and with little direct supervision, but communicate and coordinate their work and schedules with each other. Consultants also act as instructors and assistants at the CISER computing workshops.
- Graduate level experience in social science research. Experience using CISER's computing system a plus.
- Solid computing skills and substantial experience manipulating and analyzing data files for research in one or more of the following packages: SAS, Stata, SPSS, Gauss, R, Matlab, JMP, Minitab.
- Ability to quickly become proficient with CISER's Windows-based computing resources.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and independent problem solving abilities.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Conscientious attention to detail and accuracy.
- Willingness to work as a team with other consulting staff as well as attend occasional staff meetings/training sessions.
We are currently seeking candidates strong in at least two statistical software packages. We also prefer candidates with experience using CISER's research nodes, and who expect to be at Cornell for at least a year. Knowledge of qualitative software (Atlas.ti or other) is a plus, as is experience working with CISER data archive files or other large social science datasets.
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter to Mary Austin at email@example.com.