The appropriate use and protection of all systems and associated resources is expected from all clients including faculty, students, employees, and visitors throughout the institution. In addition, each CISER service has distinctive policies specific to usage obligations.
A majority of the CISER services do not require any form of registration, allowing you to visit our web site and Data Archive without telling us who you are. However, some services may require you to provide us with Personal Data. In these situations, if you choose to withhold any Personal Data requested by us, it may not be possible for you to gain access to certain services and for us to respond to your query.
Computing Resources and Computing Accounts:
CISER computing resources (servers, software applications, file storage, etc.) and computing accounts (Research, Class and all levels of restricted access accounts), are provided for research and academic needs only. Research and academic usage include use associated with Cornell-approved research, class work for which a student is currently enrolled, and staff work associated with supporting the mission of Cornell University. These resources may not be used for any personal purposes, including but not limited to storage or backup of personal files (e.g. audio, images, photos, video files, etc.), personal email, use of social media, private consulting or business -related activities, watching streaming video or other personal activities.
Computing Resources-Related Terms:
- The statistical software installed on the CISER servers may not be used for private consulting or for non-academic research. Users may not distribute licensed software from our environment to themselves or to any other persons.
- CISER servers are a limited, shared resource available to multiple clients at any time. Each client is expected to maintain an acceptable level of performance and must assure that excessive or inappropriate use of the resources does not degrade performance for others.
- CISER provides multiple levels of secure computing environments. It is the client’s responsibility to select the appropriate level of technical security required to be in compliance with the terms and conditions, as well as laws and regulations, for the type of data to be used.
Computing Accounts-Related Terms:
- It is the responsibility of every CISER computing account holder to keep CISER apprised of any changes to the information provided in your account application, including change in affiliated faculty member/supervisor, academic status, and your contact information.
- CISER collects personally identifiable information about you, such as your full name, phone number and email address when you register for an account. Personal Data is securely stored for the purposes of providing support services, analyzing computing usage statistics and maintenance communications.
- CISER clientele are responsible for complying with all applicable federal, state and local laws and must abide by Cornell University policies. Any misuse of computing resources, proprietary software, or data violates the Cornell University Campus Code of Conduct and the Authentication to Information Technology Resources Policy 5.8.
- CISER reserves the right to disable a computing account immediately upon identification of possible misuse of any CISER services, or non-compliance with CISER or Cornell University policies. Account termination will occur if misuse is confirmed through appropriate channels, and no reinstatement will be allowed.
CISER Data Archive:
- Users are required to adhere to the CISER Data & Reproduction Archive Acceptable Use Policy and any and all licensing requirements as stipulated by the providers of datasets held in the CISER Data Archive.
- CISER Data Archive non-public use files which require Cornell University authentication may not be distributed to anyone other than current faculty, staff, and students, or used for private consulting or for non-academic research.
|Revision History||Effective Date||Preparer|
|Originally Issued||2014-04-03||Janet Heslop|