Policy Volume: DA
Responsible Executive: CISER Senior Data Librarian
Responsible Office: Cornell Institute for Social and Economic Research
Revised: 2014-04-03; 2020-11-05
The data preservation function is integrated into the operations and planning of CISER and throughout the management stages of the research data lifecycle in order to support Social Science and Economic research at Cornell University.
REASON FOR POLICY
The fundamental purpose of the CISER Data & Reproduction Archive is to select, preserve and make available for use primary and secondary data, documentation and metadata, in discipline recognized digital formats that remain suitable for research in perpetuity. The data preservation and storage policy is guided by a variety of community-driven standards, (e.g. Open Archival Information Systems (OAIS) reference model, Trusted Repositories Audit and Certification (TRAC), CoreTrustSeal (CTS), Data Documentation Initiative (DDI), and FAIR Data Principles), that represent an international body of knowledge and expertise pertaining to various issues within digital preservation.
These guidelines address the effective implementation of procedures for the preservation of CISER’s digital collections within the context of the CISER Data & Reproduction Archive Collection Policy. CISER reserves the right to review the scholarly and historical value of and user accessibility into the data preservation characteristics.
Policy Review Process: CISER will review these policies every three years in conjunction with the CoreTrustSeal certification process or any future certification process.
- CISER Data & Reproduction Archive Collection Policy: https://ciser.cornell.edu/about-us/ciser-policies/data-archive-collection-policy/
- CISER Data & Reproduction Archive Versioning Policy: https://ciser.cornell.edu/about-us/ciser-policies/data-archive-versioning-policy/
- Cornell University Policy: 4.12, Data Stewardship and Custodianship https://www.dfa.cornell.edu/tools-library/policies/data-stewardship-and-custodianship
- Cornell University Policy: 5.1, Responsible Use of Information Technology Resources: https://www.dfa.cornell.edu/policy/policies/responsible-use-information-technology-resources
- Cornell University Policy 5.4.1, Security of Information Technology Resources: https://www.dfa.cornell.edu/tools-library/policies/security-information-technology-resources
- Cornell University Policy 5.10, Information Security: https://www.dfa.cornell.edu/tools-library/policies/information-security
- Cornell University Policy 4.6, Standards of Ethical Policy: https://www.dfa.cornell.edu/tools-library/policies/standards-ethical-conduct